Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Our goal is to deliver our baby as safely and naturally as possible without unnecessary medications or procedures. While we are committed to this ideal and have taken great care to prepare ourselves physically and emotionally for a natural birth, we understand that birthing is a process that seldom goes precisely as planned. As such, we will work willingly with our care providers to adjust our plan and to make alternative decisions about labor, delivery, and postpartum care should the need arise. We understand that final decisions about our care will be discussed and agreed upon in the birthing room with Emily’s well-being and that of our baby being the most important considerations.
In addition, Emily wishes:
- Please do not offer medications or suggestions for use of medications unless requested by Emily
- Intermittent (not continuous) monitoring
- Emily would like freedom to move/walk around and use tub/shower during labor
- Emily would like to stay hydrated through fluid consumption, not an iv
- No vaginal exams following rupture of membranes
- To avoid augmentation measures such as the artificial rupturing or stripping of membranes and/or pitocin unless a specific medical need arises.
- If our midwife determines that a Cesarean birth is indicated or if other complications arise, we request that all courses of action be explained thoroughly and performed only with our active consent.
- In the case of a Cesarean birth, Brett and Wilma (doula) will accompany Emily in the operating room
- A range of choices of positions for pushing
- To avoid episiotomy, to protect actively against tearing through the use of perineal massage/hot compresses/position changes- please don’t rush pushing
- Please place baby immediately on mother’s abdomen after delivery
- Allow Brett (dad) to announce the baby's sex
- Allow Brett to cut the cord, only after it has stopped pulsing
- Baby to breastfeed as soon as it is ready
- No pitocin/pulling of cord to deliver placenta- to save the placenta (refrigerate immediately)
- Baby to room-in with mother at all times, or to be accompanied by Brett if need arises for baby to visit nursery
- Please allow Emily to give baby’s first bath
- Please delay all routine procedures for the baby for at least one hour after delivery
- No Hepatitis B vaccine or antibiotic eye ointment/Silver Nitrate to be given to baby
- Baby to be breastfed exclusively. Please, no bottles, pacifiers, formula, or water
Thank you again for your support and for your kind attention to our choices.