Wednesday, August 19, 2009

We have progress, people!

Today I went to see my midwife for my 36-week appointment. We had the Strep-B test, along with the standard stuff. Blood pressure still looks good (106/60), weight gain is at about 11 pounds, urinalysis came back fine. After the Strep-B test, the nurse advised me to stay in my gown, because "Carlene usually doesn't do internals until 37-38 weeks, but just in case......"

So Carlene checked the heart rate (still in the 120s....boy?!?!?!) and measured me (a little small at 34, but not out of the realm of normal). She felt for the baby's position, and he/she's still head down and ANTERIOR! YAY!!! Then she made a comment about exactly HOW LOW that head was...and randomly asked if I minded if she do an internal. Of course, I was curious, so I told her to go ahead. Big news:

At 36 weeks, the baby's head is already fully engaged (i.e. locked in the pelvis), I'm 50% effaced and almost 2 cm dilated! Wowwwwwww...I was so surprised. Now, I KNOW this might not mean anything, and I could stay this way for weeks, but....Carlene said she would be very, very surprised if I made it to my due date....38 weeks might be more realistic. Yowza.

Game on!

5 comments:

Kacie said...

Yay! Only 8 cm to go! :)

I hate it when doctors/midwives tell pregnant ladies that they might go early. It puts unnecessary stress and pressure on the mama.

Just ask Sally Ann, heh. I think they said she'd go early, too.

Anyway...your baby will be born exactly when s/he needs to! :)

Emily said...

I know, i know! LOL...As soon as I got home I compulsively checked everyone else's old blog posts to see what they're progress was....

....regardless of when this baby arrives, it's nice to know that my body's getting started already. I think you need that little bit of encouragement at this point!

SA said...

Yeah, it definitely puts stress on mama! Abigail was head down, well-applied, and at -1 station (along with my cervix being soft) around 35 weeks. But as you know, she didn't come until 41!

Still, it doesn't hurt to get all your last-minute preparations knocked out early!

Congrats on progress. It does feel good to know that your body's working properly.

An even bigger congrats on an ANTERIOR baby. Whew! I wouldn't wish back labor on anyone!

Denise said...

First off - YAY for an anterior baby!!!

Hope the strep-b is negative so no IV for you!

Elyana was engaged at 36 weeks as well - at a Station -1. It's such a relief when that happens, so no more turning!

Just because I want to be the voice of reason here.... That is awesome you're already 2cm! But you are right to tell yourself it tells you Nothing about when the baby will come! It's just that much less you have to dialate. I know you know this! I hope you really DO only have 2 more weeks to go. Take it one day at a time, and if that time passes, do not be discouraged because no one stays pregnant forever. :)

stella said...

so cool!!!!

ha, ive also been right at 110/60 almost every appt!