Saturday, March 28, 2009

It's my birthday...so I ran a 5K!



Clemson University Run to the Rock- is there a better way to start off your birthday and celebrate 25 years of being alive than by running a 5K on the campus of your Alma Mater? Dixie, my father in law, and I headed out early this morning for campus for the run. Although it was only misting then, by the time the race had started (actually about 1 mile in), it was really coming down.

It was the BEST run I've had recently- maybe one of the most "comfortable" ever. Although I was soaking wet, I was warm enough, and the entire time I ran through campus I thought about all the times I've spent in each place. Example: running by Bowman reminded me of "Bowman beach," taking Savannah there when she was a puppy, marching many a Thursday afternoon for ROTC, etc. I felt so overwhelmingly grateful for everything I've been blessed with, both before Clemson and since- family, friends, my husband, our baby on the way....Not to get too sappy, but it was definitely a very emotional run. I felt invigorated and alive, yet relaxed in a way I haven't felt in quite a while.

I ended up finishing in 31 minutes- almost dead-on for the 10-minute miles I was shooting for. Although it is a little frustrating to know that I am almost 7 minutes slower than my best time, I am so grateful that I have been able to keep running so far. At this point, it's not about speed or pushing myself for new times- it's about enjoying the exercise, working my body but not too hard, and wondering at the amazing way we (as women) are put together. I can't wait to tell my child someday how many miles we logged "together!" 


No comments: