Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Workin’ on my fitness.

I have to admit that I had a very easy (ridiculously easy, even) time losing the baby weight after Lucy was born. I only gained about 15 lbs. during my pregnancy, and I was back in non-maternity clothes after 1 week. I dropped it all within 2 weeks.

This time around, not so easy. Again, I only gained about 15 lbs. Again, I was back in SOME of my normal clothes right away. A few weeks postpartum, though, I realized something- I had stopped losing weight. In fact, I was now GAINING. At my 6-week checkup yesterday I learned that I weigh the same amount now as when I delivered.

WTF???

Here’s the deal. I am starving all.the.time. I eat all.the.time. I eat mostly healthily, but don’t deny myself treats. This is the polar opposite of pregnancy for me- the time when I puke and puke and avoid most food entirely. However, my midwife says that sometimes when you’re nursing two, you hang onto the weight because you’re body is simply going through so many calories. It’s like a defense mechanism. This doesn’t make a lot of sense to me, but whatever. Here’s the bottom line: I wanna look like this again.

Me on my honeymoon- Aruba- June 2007.

I know, I know- that was going on 4 years ago, and it was pre-kids. But I’m going to get back there. A few weeks ago I (in a moment of temporary insanity) signed up for my first half-marathon. It’s in April. I also committed to doing P90X with Brett. So right now I’m running AND doing killer workouts almost every day. I’m not brave enough to post my pre-P90X pics yet, but I will when we get to the end.

I also want to say for the record that I’m not following the P90X diet. It would be impossible to restrict my calories that much AND still run AND nurse 2 kids. Well, I could eat the foods on the diet, but I’d have to eat a ton of them- and I don’t see myself finishing an 8-egg omelet. Anyway, I don’t want to look like Skeletor, and, more importantly, I need to be able to feed my babies- and I like them chunky.

We are headed to PA in a couple of weeks for June’s baptism, and I NEED to be able to fit into at least 2 pairs of my regular jeans, sans muffin top. ‘Cause I’m not gonna buy more, and it’s too cold up there for most of my dresses. That’s my motivation- for the next two weeks, anyway. Luckily we are YMCA members, so we’ll be able to keep up with our workouts at the Y in Erie. I’m really looking forward to utilizing the indoor pool. I know it’s hot in Florida, people- but an indoor pool for use in the winter would be nice. I miss my lap swimming.

So here we go. Updates to come.

2 comments:

Ida Mae said...

good luck Momma!

Denise said...

You know, I gained 25 with Elyana, and lost all but 2 lbs by 3 weeks post-partem. Then, my body held onto that, and I went up another 5 lbs (at worst) and just could not lose it. I read a TON of articles about it, and at 9 weeks post-partem I started an intense workout in addition to cutting my calories . (I was pumping 2-3 times a day prior to this, and watching my supply, and it never changed, just because I wanted to make sure I wasn't jeopardizing Elyana). Anyway, the more I worked out or cut calories, the more I did not change. I got stronger, yes, but the baby fat would not leave. From all my reading I eventually learned that some women - especially those who already are very lean or have a lot BMI - will actually hold on to an additional 5-10 lbs while they nurse. It really was true. I don't think I lost that until I was close to 12 months post-partem. I changed nothing.

Anyway, I could understand how with nursing two, your body is acting differently. Good luck, though. I never, ever, ever let myself feel good enough with anything less than pre-pregnancy body. I knew I could get it back with enough work. And I'll feel the same next time.