Saturday, September 6, 2008

Finally an update......

Hey everybody! Sorry it's been so long since I updated this thing. In case you don't know, I am currently deployed. I won't give you any info on where I am, or what I am doing, or how long I will be gone, because that's not smart and/or allowed. Instead I will try to update occasionally on anything I find interesting and worth sharing.

One of the things that make deployments easier for me is online shopping. Last time I was here I was bad about shopping the JCrew online sales, so I've vowed not to repeat that mistake next time- at least not to the same extent. I have, however, put in an order with Amazon that I am anxiously awaiting. I am so looking forward to reading the books I bought!

The first is Spiritual Midwifery by Ina Gaskin. I have been meaning to read this one for quite a long time! I have heard from several people that this book is amazing- and for more than a few - life changing. It is considered by many to be the single most important piece of literature about midwifery, and to be an important read for not only midwives and midwifery students, but for all women. I recently came across this quote and I think it's awesome. Ina says: "Midwifery is an essential profession. A midwife's work means something: It prepares the woman to go through childbirth in a way that's transformative and empowering. The empowerment and self respect she learns in labor is passed on to the child in a loving relationship." I found an interesting article about Ina here.

The second book I ordered is another I have been meaning to read for a while. For months now I have been reading a few different blogs referencing attachment parenting. Shout out to Babyfingers! Anyway, I wanted to read a book for myself that fully explains the concept and the views behind it. To that end, I bought William Sears' The Baby Book. I chose this one because (according to the summary and reviews) it encompasses a broad variety of topics from birth all the way through the early toddler years.

Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson was one of my favorite books growing up, but unfortunately, I haven't read it in a long time. As I've discussed in either entries, I am in the process of building up our library at home. I have a list stored on my computer that details all the books I plan on buying to add to that library, and this is one of them. I can't wait to read this one again, either! I hadn't noticed it until now, but in that book the main character ends up being a nurse or midwife (I can't quite remember which). Maybe my inclination towards delivering babies started earlier than I thought!

When I finish reading these books, I'll update with reviews.

I also promise to try harder to be more consistent with updating this while I'm overseas.

For my next Amazon order, I plan on ordering:

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver, Camille Kingsolver, and Steven L. Hopp

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Home Cheese Making: Recipes for 75 Delicious Cheeses by Riki Carroll

So expect an update on those books (and the ones I just ordered) in the next month or so.

No comments: