Thursday, February 26, 2009

2nd visit with the midwife...

So yesterday I had my second visit with Carlene. It was so much shorter than the first! Basically all that happened was, a) weigh-in, b) urine sample, c) doppler. Here's the breakdown:

a) I have lost roughly 10 pounds since I first became pregnant. Bad news. I had been taking my Zofran periodically (when I thought I really need it), but I've been schooled that I need to be taking it regularly, because I need to be much more hydrated and fed than I currently am. Point taken. I am being a good little patient now and following orders. TMI alert: major downside to Zofran is that it causes major constipation. Hence I am trying everything under the sun to combat it....boo.

b) Uhhh....not much to say here except for dehydration.....

c) Carlene attempted to find the heartbeat on the doppler, but no luck. She then apologized and said that she normally doesn't even get one until 14 weeks, so she didn't mean to get my hopes up/feel anxious. She is letting me come back before my next appointment (last week in March) to check again. I'm not that anxious about it (considering I SAW the heartbeat weeks ago, and my morning sickness is killing me), but it would have been nice. I've decided that this is God's way of having Brett be there for it, since he couldn't be there yesterday. Now we'll just plan on stopping in when he can!

Oh, and on a final note, I have been asked a TON already about this, so I want to say: WE ARE GOING TO BE SURPRISED WITH THE GENDER! That is, we'll not be looking for it (besides, I'm not a believer in medically unnecessary ultrasounds. ) Who knows, though- I've heard of little boys showing it off to the point that even the untrained eye could easily see their gender! Here's hoping for a wonderful surprise in September! 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good job with your running, keep it up. Don't worry about the heartbeat, it's hard to get on the dopplar when it's that little. He/She is in there making you sick. :) The constipation is also exacerbated by prenatal vitamins so if it becomes unbearable you can switch over. I tried about 4 different kinds and personally recommend the new One A Day prenatal's. They JUST came out a few months ago and it's actually two pills, a prenatal and a DHA/EPA liquid gel that helps with brain development. I LOVE THEM! They don't make me puke and they don't make me constipated. They're expensive, but worth it. Good luck! :)

Emily said...

Thanks, Scottie, for the reassurance! I know they don't usually get it that early, but it would have been nice. I am currently taking Rainbow Light Complete prenatals, and I was okay before I started the Zofran, which is the big issue- but don't worry, I found that milk of magnesia can help, but only as a last resort! lol

Ironically enough, I took the One A Days you're talking about when we were trying to conceive! I think most people forget that you should really start taking them when you start trying, because that way you already have built up your stores, and DHA/EPA is most critical in the very beginning.

Denise said...

I think being surprised by the gender is fun! I couldn't for the life of me tell when looking at our u/s screen, even though I had looked at almost a hundred ones online of boys/girls. :)

How are things going with the doppler? I'm glad you stopped by!!!