Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Lost things/something funny/advice needed!

So my keys have been missing since the Buffett concert. I have torn the house/car/garage apart, and I found all of this:

- earring backs
- tennis balls
- random hoop earring
- a key to Heather's old apartment (think I'll save that for the next time I'm in ol' San Angelo)
- dead batteries
- winter gloves
- too many tubes of lip gloss and chapstick to count

NO KEYS! 

KEY GNOMES, wherever you are, I would like my keychain back. It is the first thing I ever got in a little blue box from Tiffany's, and it is engraved with my name on it. My bridesmaids and friends gave it to me at my bachelorette party in Austin. Take all the discount card thingys, take my car keys, give the Tiffany's back! 

..............GUYS STOP READING HERE..............

I was reading Kimya Dawson's myspace page today (if you don't know, she is the genius behind most of the Juno soundtrack- she is awesome and amazing and cracks me up in a weird sort of way) and came across these. She mentions that she owns some in the tie-dyed style and I couldn't help but laugh. To each their own, right? I don't think I'm ready for the wash-and-reuse bit. I do give her props for doing her part in cutting down her use of disposable items, and she is a big proponent for cloth diapers (btw- her daughter's name is Panda- had to throw that in).  I am excited, though, because I ordered my first DivaCup today. I am anxious to see how it works out. I have used Instead before, but I wasn't pleased with them. Hopefully better luck this time! 

Oh, and I also found a super-cool site for natural products for your home. NancyBoy sells a variety of products that look and (according to testimonials) work great. I am going to try the laundry detergent first, then probably the linen water (lemon verbana- yum!). I have really sensitive skin, and I generally use All Free and Clear for laundry, followed by fragrance-free dryer sheets. I will follow up and let you know how it works! I'm also curious to know- those of you who cloth diaper- what detergents you use to launder them. Maybe this would be a good choice? Just wondering. 

Final thought. Does anyone out there use a natural deodorant (no antiperspirant)? I remember reading that in someone's blog, I think. Anyways, I've been reading up about the potential dangers in commercial deodorant/antiperspirant (mainly concerning aluminum) and I'm thinking about switching to a natural brand, maybe Crystal? CrunchyChicken recommends that one. I'm just worried about the sweat factor- even if I don't smell, I don't want underarm circles! Advice anyone?

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I hope you love the Diva Cup as much as I do. Now that I'm used to the DC, I'm planning to sew my own cloth pantiliners. (After washing poo out of cloth diapers, a few drops of blood doesn't seem like a big deal.) I don't use that many anyway, but wouldn't it be cool to never visit the tampon & pad aisle again? It sounded weird to me too at first, but I think that's how our society has gotten to be so harmful to the environment. Certain companies have convinced us that nearly everything must be disposable, because first it was convenient, and then we got so used to it that reusing anything became gross.

We wash our cloth diapers in Dreft, but I've been thinking of trying something new. I think a lot of the moms I know use Dr. Bronner's, which Julie recently linked to on her site. I will have to check out the NancyBoy site!

I use a deodorant crystal. I'm not sure which brand, but we sell them at Impressions down the hall so I buy mine there. There's also a spray and a powder, but I haven't tried those. Carey recommended using a spray bottle of alcohol (like a hand sanitizer) because it kills those odor-causing germs. I haven't had to do it yet because the crystal is working.